The university has been a school for construction engineering in the former GDR starting from 1954. After the German reunification the school became a Technical University and was finally renamed into Brandenburg Technical University in 1994. In the following years the university has undergone major construction efforts and the number of students has continuously grown ever since. In February 2013 the Landtag of Brandenburg decided to fuse the BTU and the Hochschule Lausitz on July 1, 2013 to found the new university Brandenburgische Technische Universität Cottbus-Senftenberg (abbreviated BTU).
The Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus–Senftenberg was founded in 1991 and is a technical university in Brandenburg, Germany with campuses in Cottbus and Senftenberg. The university has 197 professors, 629 additional academic staff and more than 8,000 students, of which 1,860 are of foreign origin from 111 nations.
The BTU has a worldwide network of partner universities and allows students to take part in European Erasmus Programme or overseas programmes such as STUDEXA or GE4. Students who want to participate in an exchange programme do not need to pay the tuition fee of the hosting university.
According to WORLD RECORDS UNION (Worldkings.org)