Founded by 3 South Americans, Daniel Pacheco, Antonio Lopez and Diego Wilkins, it was first rum distillery in the country.

The distillery’s first rum was made from sugarcane grown on local family-owned farms and then fermented, distilled and aged in a beautiful and airy building in a laneway off Sothearos Boulevard.

Sugarcane is sourced from the from eastern regions of the Koh Kong Province to produce four kind of rums: Samai Gold Rum flavoured with Mondulkiri wild honey, Samai PX Limited Edition Rum aged in Sherry American oak barrels, Kampot Pepper Rum spiced with Kampot pepper and Samai White Rum the finest Cambodian molasses and aged in ex-bourbon barrels which gave it a mature and flavourful fruity rum.

Samai Distillery was selected as one of 10 startup distilleries for Diageo’s distillery incubation programme. Since then its rums have won numerous awards from across the world such as San Francisco World Spirits Competition, the London International Spirits Challenge, the Singapore World Spirits Competition and the Miami International Rum Conference. Currently, the distillery exports around 30% of its production to Singapore, France and Spain, while the remaining 70% is sold domestically.

According to, and Wikipedia