The original design of the hotel had three stories and 44 bedrooms. In 1948, Mathieu Franchini, head of the Indochina Tourism & Exhibition Department bought the ground and first floors of the hotel and rented 44 rooms in the building for the next 30 years. The hotel was expanded in 1965; two more stories were added based on the design of Vietnamese architect Ngo Viet Thu.
It is located at 1 Dong Khoi Street, formerly rue Catinat. After 1975, the hotel name was changed to Mekong Hotel (Khách Sạn Cửu Long) and it became a government guest house. It was recently renamed again to the original name, the six storey building is now a 5 star hotel overlooking the Saigon River. It is owned by the state-owned Saigon Tourist.
Saigon Tourist announced a 1.9 trillion VND expansion project of the Majestic Hotel in July 2011. It plans to construct two towers of 24 and 27 storeys within 3 years. The new complex will have a total 538 rooms, 353 of which will be hotel rooms.
According to VietKings (Kyluc.vn)